- Mandia (Ragi/ Finger millet) flour-2 cup
- Blackgram- 1 cup
- Sugar/ Jaggery- 1 ½ cup( or according to taste)
- Salt-a pinch of
- Sliced Coconut- 1 cup
- Green cardamom powder- ½ tsp
- Ghee- 1tbs
- Wash black gram thoroughly with water till it is clean and soak it for around 2 hours.
- Grind the soaked black gram, till the batter turns into a smooth paste.
- Mix Mandia (Ragi/ Finger millet) flour with black gram batter in a bowl.
- Leave the batter for fermentation for about 7 to 8 hours( in winter leave it for the whole night)
- After fermentation, add salt, sugar/jaggery, and green cardamom powder to the batter.
- Mix it well and let the batter rest for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add sliced coconut to the batter and mix it well.
- Preheat the Kadai/pan in a medium flame
- Grease the kadhai/pan with ghee and put the batter into the Kadai topping with sliced coconut.
- Cover the Kadai/pan with a plate and place the Kadai in low flame for about 25- 30 minutes.(Time may vary according to the size of Kadai/ pan.)
- You can check the perfection of the podapitha by inserting a fork/ knife. The fork/ knife must become out clean.
- Now Mandia (Ragi/ Finger millet) podapitha is ready to serve.
- Let it cool down, then remove pitha from Kadai/pan, cut it into desired shapes and serve.
Prepared by: Sabnam Aferin
You can reach her at [email protected]