- Mandia(Ragi/Fingermillet) flour- 1 cup
- Maida (whole wheat flour )/plain atta- 1 cup
- Ghee-1/4 cup
- Kala jeera(kalonji seeds) –2 tsp
- ajwain (carom seeds )- 1tsp (optional)
- salt as per requirement
- oil- for frying
- Take a plate, mix Mandia (Ragi/Finger millet) flour, Maida (whole wheat flour )/plain atta and sieve them to remove any husk or other impurities.
- Add ajwain (carom) seeds, Kalajeera(kalonji seeds), and salt
- Mix the whole thing very well &then add ghee and rub with the flour mixture and mix it well.
- Then add the required water to knead a semi-tight dough.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let it rest for around 30 minutes
- When done, divide the dough into 14-15 equal portions.
- Take one (keep the rest covered), roll it out to a thin circle, and smear slight tsp ghee and slight flour evenly on it
- Fold to form a semi-circle, repeat the application of ghee and flour.
- Fold it once again to form a triangle. Shape the other portions out in a similar way.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadhai. Once hot, reduce the flame to medium and fry the nimkis in batches, in a single layer, until golden brown.
- Drain the oil off and remove on a plate
(You can add ½ tsp chat masala and chili flakes in roll for spicy nimki)
Prepared by: Sabnam Aferin
You can reach her at [email protected]