- Gurji (Little millet) Rice -2 cup
- Blackgram- 1 cup
- Fenugreek seed- 10 to 15 pc
- Sugar/ Jaggery- 1 ½ cup( or according to taste)
- Salt-a pinch of
- Sliced Coconut- 1 cup
- Green cardamom powder- ½ tsp
- Cashew (Kaju) and Raisin(Kismis) – 1/4th cup
- Ghee- 3 to 4 tbs
- Wash Gurji (Little millet) rice thoroughly with water till it is clean and soak it for around 1 hours.
- Wash blackgram thoroughly with water till it is clean.
- Mix fenugreek seeds with washed blackgram and soak the mix for around 1 hours.
- Grind the soaked blackgram, fenugreek seeds mix till batter turns into smooth paste.
- Grind the Gurji (Little millet) rice till batter turns into smooth paste.
- Mix both blackgram batter and Gurji (Little millet) rice batter in a bowl.
- Leave the batter for fermentation for about 3 to 4 hours
- After fermentation, add salt, sugar / jaggery , sliced coconut and green cardamom powder to batter.
- Mix it well and let the batter rest for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Preheat the kadai in a medium flame
- Grease the kadai with ghee and put the batter in to the kadai topping with Cashew (Kaju) and Raisin(Kismis)
- Cover the kadai with a plate and place the kadai in low flame for about 25- 30 minute .(Time may be vary according to the size of pan.)
- You can check the perfection of the Podapitha by inserting a fork/ knife .The fork/ knife must be comes out clean.
- Now Gurji (Little millet) Podapitha is ready.
- Let it cool down, then remove pitha from kadai ,cut it into desired shapes and enjoy.
Generally Podapithais made during Raja parba( a three days long festival celebrated in Odisha ).Podapithaor the burnt cake is the essential part of the festivalis typically made with slowly baking fermented rice and blackgrammix ,coconut and jaggery. its crust is slightly burnt while the inside is soft and white.
Prepared by: Sabnam Aferin
You can reach her at [email protected]