- Mandia (Ragi) flour – 1 cup
- Maida (all-purpose flour)- 1 ½ cup
- ghee-2 tsp(optional)
- sugar- 2 cup
- saffron-5 strand(optional)
- powdered green cardamom-1/2 teaspoon
- baking soda-1pinch
- oil- for frying
- Mix together Maida (all-purpose flour), Mandia(Ragi) flour, and baking soda in a bowl& sieve them to remove any husk or other impurities
- Add ghee in the above mixture.
- Add curd and water to make a thick batter, Mix well until it is thick but has a slightly flowing consistency.
- Keep it aside for around 1 hour to ferment.
- To make the sugar syrup, heat water in a pan over medium flame.
- Add sugar and mix until fully dissolved. simmer the syrup until it attains one string consistency.
- Add saffron, cardamom powder in sugar syrup, and stir well.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium flame for deep frying.
- Fill the jalebi batter in a muslin cloth and cut a small hole in the cloth.
- Squeeze the muslin cloth to make concentric circles.
- Move from inside to outside to make perfect circles.
- Fry till jalebis are crisp.
- Soak the jalebis in warm sugar syrup for 2-3 minutes.
- Now, remove from the syrup and place on a tray and serve the jalebis hot/ warm.
Prepared by: Sabnam Aferin
You can reach her at [email protected]