- Mandia (Ragi/ Finger millet ) flour- 1½ cup
- Wheat flour /Maida flour – 1 cup
- Fresh grated coconut—2 cup
- Sugar/Jaggery- 1 cup
- Green cardamom powder-1/4th tsp
- Ghee-2 tbs
- salt – as required
- Oil – for frying
- Take a pan and put the freshly grated coconut and jaggery/sugar.
- Heat it on a low flame and stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes till it becomes a little dry.
- Add green cardamom powder and continue heating on low flame for another 1 minute.
- Put this mix aside in a bowl and let it cool.
- In another bowl mix Wheat flour / Maida (all-purpose flour), Mandia (Ragi) flour, salt & sieve them to remove any husk or other impurities.
- Take a small pan and heat ghee till it becomes light hot. Pour the light hot ghee into the mixt flour and mix well.
- Add water to mix flour, knead for a minute, and form a smooth dough. Cover and leave the dough to rest for around 10 –15 minutes.
- Now divide the dough into some equal portions.
- Flatten the dough ball and roll out on a lightly floured surface. Use little flour for dusting if it sticks too much during rolling.
- Add a tablespoon of the coconut stuffing to it.
- Brush the edges with milk// water and fold over the upper half sealing the Karanji to form a semi-circle.
- Press lightly and seal well. Use a fork to crimp the edges and trim.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Fry 3-4 karanjis at a time( depends upon the size of pan ), turning them while frying until they will puff up slightly and have a crisp coating.
- Drain over the paper and serve warm or store it in an airtight container.
Prepared by: Sabnam Aferin
You can reach her at [email protected]